• Careers
  • Volunteers
  • Physicians
(323) 726-1222
Beverly Hospital

Beverly Hospital

Beverly Hospital is an award-winning, nationally recognized non-profit hospital serving East LA and the surrounding communities. We provide the full range of inpatient and outpatient care.

Our History: 65 Years of Caring

For more than 65 years Beverly Hospital has been a vital healthcare partner to the Montebello community and the surrounding areas. It began as the dream of 18 local doctors who wanted to have a hospital for general physicians where they could treat their patients close to their homes. Today this 224-bed acute care facility is a leading independent, non-profit community hospital, recognized nationally for providing quality care.

The principles on which Beverly Hospital was founded in 1949 have not changed, and the spirit of dedication to the community that guided the founders is still very much alive.

 

Milestones

  • 1939: Local physicians formed the East Los Angeles Hospital Association
  • 1942: East Los Angeles Hospital Association converted a local rest home into a private hospital for general practitioners
  • 1949: The not-for-profit Beverly Community Hospital Association, Inc. was formed on May 20
  • 1952: Beverly Hospital Guild held its first meeting
  • 1954: Medical staff pledged funds for the first major addition to the hospital
  • History - 1957 1957: Center, East, and West Wings of the hospital were cut in half and moved to the back of the hospital and new wings were built
  • 1960: First board-certified specialist joined the medical staff
  • 1962: Beverly Hospital hired its first professional administrator
  • 1967: Emerson Wing opened
  • 1973: Tower Building opened
  • 1974: Beverly Hospital Foundation was founded to raise funds for the hospital
  • 1975: Cardiac rehabilitation program started
  • 1977: First open heart surgery took place at Beverly
  • 1980: New gastrointestinal laboratory enabled physicians to conduct endoscopic exams
  • 1981: Beverly was named a paramedic base station for Los Angeles County
  • History - 1982 1982: The hospital purchased a state-of-the-art CT scanner
  • 1980: Outpatient/Admissions Service program completed
  • 1984: First computer system was installed
  • 1988: Hensel Maternity Center opened
  • 1995: NICU opened
  • 1995: Beverly Hospital began an affiliation with a hospital association, which ended three years later.
  • 1997: An 18,000-pound magnet—part of a new MRI system—is installed in Beverly’s new radiology building
  • 1997: Beverly Hospital Medical Plaza (the “101 building”) was acquired for $3 million
  • 1998: The Women’s Pavilion and Breast Center opened
  • 1999: Beverly Hospital celebrated the opening of its Diabetes Treatment Center on August 26
  • 2004: Women’s Care Center was established to serve low income and underserved mothers-to-be
  • 2005: The hospital opened a state-of-the-art Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
  • 2006: Picture archiving and communications (PAC) system allowed the diagnostic imaging department to go filmless
  • 2007: Beverly became a STEMI Receiving Center
  • History - 2008 2008: GE digital mammogram system was installed in the Women’s Pavilion and Breast Center
  • 2010: Beverly Hospital is a recipient of the HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence for consecutive years
  • 2013: Family Care Center opened to provide affordable and accessible primary care services to the community
  • 2014: Workers' Compensation Program and Industrial Clinic started in partnership with West Ocean MD.